This report will discuss different core concepts and knowledge about health education and health promotion. It also gives direction on how a learner can follow other principles for developing health education and promotion. In the end, a poster is shown which describes a particular issue regarding health matters. So, it will help the learner to develop different core knowledge of health.
Understand fundamental principles and basic concepts of health education and health promotion
Health is a condition in which a person hasn’t any kind of physical illness and is in good shape to work smoothly. Good health is considered the best gift, and it’s a precious thing for every person. So, for keeping good health, health education and health promotion have good importance in this regard.
Health education is those learning approaches or experiences used to improve the physical condition of the human so that they can keep themselves fit and reduce or avoid injuries and illness. Health promotion is also used to contribute to development in the health sector to improve and make it possible for individuals to control their health to take initiatives to protect their health. The primary purposes of health education are:
- To provide idea and knowledge about health.
- To give training so that physical illness can be cured.
- To develop in the health sector to ensure better treatment to the patient.
The basic concepts and principles of health education and health are described below:
Interest is considered the main principle of health education because people need to have enough interest or liking for learning health education and serve others to keep good health and keep them free from any kind of illness. In a word, people need to have a passion for learning and gathering experience in health education. It gives focus to the actual need of people by which they can keep good health. In order to increase interest, this education can increase different actions based on natural conditions that can improve people’s interest to learn.
Learning unknown factors that can create health disorders or illness are the main principles of health education to increase new knowledge of different terms of health. They can improve their existing knowledge (“Principles Of Health Education – Campus Compact”).Participation is also needed besides interest. The primary purpose is to motivate people to work more actively and participate in developing the different problems related to health. (Boyle and Holben) This principle shows the direction by which active learning can be possible through further discussion and learning.
Comprehension is another principle that increases the understanding of health education to be easy for people to learn proper health education. There are some problematic terms in education that not everyone can understand, so it should be based on the mental condition of the learners.
Reinforcement is another principle that emphasises that health education score ideas and knowledge should be repeated after a particular time to recall and remember all the learning rather than forgetting.
Motivation is such a principle by which the learners are encouraged to learn health education with attention to meet their needs and desire of learning. Health education provides enough motivation to fulfil the primary and secondary markets of the learners.
Learning in practice is another purpose of health education in which not only bookish knowledge is not essential. The purpose of this principle is to view health education in a broad sense. Besides texts, knowledge learners are provided practical knowledge so that they can apply it in a useful life.
Describing and evaluating the critical developments in response to health promotion
With the changing of time, development in the health sector has increased a lot mainly in the health promotion which the main target is to improve the individual health condition and control over the health so that they can keep them fit. But for creating development, health promotion faced a lot of barriers. For example, in 2013, it met a solid wall to maintain growth due to a lack of interest in the health promotion sector. It has significantly changed from ancient times, and a lot of development we have seen was imagined in the archaic period.
The first development in health promotion started about ten thousand years ago when people had a more social life, and communication was established in different races. This civilisation helped increase health promotion which focused on a clean lifestyle to reduce the health disorder by keeping them clean. This health promotion system provided different types of drinking materials by which a person could make them clean. They thought that by being clean, they got health benefits (Rychetnik).
After that period, ancient Greeks further improved health promotion by creating different lifestyles, environmental factors, and health links. So, they used to take additional actions to lead a good healthy life by following a good lifestyle. But these types of good lifestyles were only available for the upper-level people, so lower-level people faced health disorders most.
Modern health was first introduced in 1800, mainly focusing on protecting public health from infections and diseases. It helped reduce the impact of the plague a lot by considering factors that caused the spread of the disease. This current health promotion was very effective for public health, and the government also played a significant role in implementing this health promotion.
Development carried on in the health sector due to the movement of people from the rural life to urban life, for the revolution and different biggest world wars. Various health codes were established, such as Public Health Act 1848, 1875 and so on, to protect public health from physical and mental diseases and disorders.
The past health promotion has changed dramatically due to their inefficiency, and the 20th century is blessed and observed with the significant improvement in the health sectors throughout the world. In this time, professional responsibility is given more importance through different comprehensive approaches. The mortality rate has decreased a lot compared to ancient times (Sparks).
Identify the significant concepts of health education and health promotion methodologies and evaluate their impact on approaches to intervention strategies and their applications
A learner can follow different approaches and methodologies in taking further health education that can increase health promotion. Two methods in health education and promotion significantly impact health intervention strategies and application.
Problem-based learning is the first method of learning health education, which gives the learner proper instruction to expand his/her knowledge of health. This learning also emphasised the required skills that are needed for a target profession. It is the opposite of the traditional education system, and it gives learners in such a way. It examines in such a way so that they can easily understand the fundamental health problems in the profession for which they are directed. But it doesn’t mean that conventional learning has no importance regarding health education and health promotion. Traditional learning of health is needed to gain success in problem-based learning, and formal learning helps to provide the basic knowledge of problem-based learning.
The researchers now show how learning can impact intervention strategies and their applications. It has been observed that in about 86.6% of cases, PBL has gained success and is efficient enough to use. In about ten research publications, it has been proved that BPL has great importance in health promotion in five positive articles. Three were neutral, and two show the importance of conventional education facilities. Most researchers offer a positive output in this learning methodology, so it can conclude that this methodology significantly impacts intervention strategies and their applications (“Evaluation Of Health Promotion, Public Health Or Public Policy Interventions”).
Meaningful learning is another health education learning introduced by David Ausubel, who said that learning could be significant when the learners have the interest to learn, and the contents used in the learning should have meaning for the learners that can develop their learning existing knowledge. This learning helps to modify the current inside the learner has by gathering the new knowledge. It is considered the active learning approach by which the learner can consistently develop their skills and expertise that have great importance in health promotion.
This learning methodology has a direct practical life implication purpose that will significantly impact the intervention approaches. (“Health Promotion & Education Research Methods: Using The Five Chapter Thesis/ Dissertation Model: 9780763775070: Medicine & Health Science Books @ Amazon.Com”) This learning methodology helps learners to improve the knowledge that is necessary for their practical professional life. Different researchers also show the positive output of this type of learning methodology.
Health education is the professional type of health learning system used most commonly in this sector. In this type of methodology, learners learn higher health education courses that provide direct health knowledge. It is very much needed to become competent enough for learning the next practical step. This education system has made positive changes from period to period to be easier for the students to learn. Like other methodologies, it also significantly impacts the development of intervention strategies and practical applications.
Demonstrate basic skills in designing appropriate and effective health promotion interventions in a specific health setting
To set a specific intervention in the particular health promotion, the learners need basic skills. Without the necessary skills and abilities, the purpose of designing effective health promotion may become unsuccessful. The basic needs that are required for health promotion have discussed below:
- Health knowledge is the primary thing that must-have for those who want to take the initiative to implement health promotion interventions. Without having any knowledge, the learner can’t understand the necessities of the interventions.
- Communication skill is also needed to implement health promotion strategies by which a network can be created to communicate with the people involved in this new strategy. This network, through communication, helps to get the purpose done quickly.
- Decision making skill is also required for taking a new strategy, and it can say that an effective decision can only ensure the best output of a process. It provides the direction of how the system can be achieved.
- Problem-solving ability is also required because implementing a new strategy regarding health promotion intervention faces many problems initially. Through this skill, different issues can be solved and finally can reach the ultimate goal.
- Time management skill is also required because without proper management of time; it is impossible to implement the health promotion intervention strategy because it requires complete implementation of the process within a certain period of time (“News”).
- Creativity is also required that will help to show the easiest way to implement the strategy more effectively and efficiently.
In recent years, heart diseases and stroke have increased significantly due to the different pollution and lower food production standards. It has been out of the control of the modern health care system, so it needs to put more importance to give special attention in this regard. So, this poster is taken based on how different actions can be taken in this regard to reduce heart diseases and stroke. This action will help to increase the better condition of public health related to heart diseases and stroke.
To implement this new strategy, we need to follow the theoretical aspects we have discussed in the previous topic. (Heckmann) I need to follow all the principles that are related to education, health and health promotion. I must be interested in properly applying all the activities associated with heart diseases and stroke actively and with encouragement. A new intervention has also impacted social changes and psychological changes, so we should care about those factors of changes. So we need to discuss some social and psychological concepts regarding this new health intervention in the below:
Participation refers to involvement in the activities of the new intervention to make the latest changes. In participation, both mental and physical attention is required. On the other hand, empowerment indicates the condition where people have enough control over themselves so that they can influence their health. In taking a new intervention, it is essential to have enough power of the two factors that will facilitate the working of the new project.
As the new intervention will be carried out with a group of people, it is necessary to create community engagement. Community engagement refers to how different communities can work collaboratively to gain some particular objectives together. It is very much needed for the new intervention related to heart diseases and stroke because we need to work on massive activities, solve huge problems, and make different decisions that will not be possible by a single person.
We need to do social marketing for our new intervention to reach all the people required. It is considered the most effective approach for reaching all levels of people and increasing their consciousness. For this purpose, the ladder of participation theory of social marketing can be used, which refers to allocating the objective and goals in a systematic approach to establish the engagement process quickly. It has five steps that need to follow to apply ladder of participation such:
- Informing – just provide a message.
- Consultation – select an option that already predetermines
- Deciding together – work together to reach a goal
- Acting together – working with each other
- Supporting initiatives – provide support in different problems to others
Equity also needs to maintain the new intervention so that there is an equal opportunity for each person and no one should face any discriminatory behaviour. Ethical principles must also take care of so that any action may not violate the existing laws. Lastly, we need to monitor whole activities to confirm that all the activities are going according to our objectives and purposes.
Initially, our primary audiences are 100 people in the UK ranging from the age of 20-60.
Necessary skills and resources
For the initial experiment, we require about $5000, and we require modern technology to reduce heart diseases and stroke problems. We also need 30 professional doctors of cardiovascular diseases.
Different previous actions also were taken to improve the condition of heart diseases, and stroke and the development of the act have been gained in this sector but failed to remove this problem from society altogether. (“On The Interpretation Of Heart Action Phases On Heart Stroke Frequency”) The new plan is considered than the previous action. Still, it can’t ensure total removal from society because it is impossible due to the present imperfect condition of world pollution, food poisoning, and other problems. One example, In 2008, WHO took a policy under the six objectives to reduce the impact of heart diseases and stroke. The vision was clear to us that the intervention of the health sector so that heart diseases and stroke can be reduced. It was very effective at that time but failed to obliterate the problem. This intervention focused on controlling dietary matter, control of drinking alcohol and also a restriction on tobacco. But this intervention could not provide the direction of how heart diseases and stroke can be removed or how instant actions can be taken to reduce those problems. This intervention also could not show the negative impact of modern technologies such as cell phones, computers etc. So, the new intervention has focused on most of the sectors that are the primary sources of heart diseases and stroke. So, it is considered more effective than the previous intervention.
Timescale: 30 days of our total time of the new intervention. After the initial test, we observed that through under care, 100 people have more health and can reduce their heart diseases and stroke problems by 25%.
- Consistent development is needed for expecting the better output of the new intervention. Without proper consistency, it may not be possible to get the desired result, and the whole project may become invalid.
- Policies are taken based on such a system to identify factors that harm heart diseases and stroke quickly. It is essential because only the cure of heart diseases and stroke is not essential; instead, it should be removed from the source where it originated.
- This action should include all levels of people from children to old age people so that the total affected people every year can be significantly reduced. This intervention must also focus on the most vulnerable group of heart diseases and stroke more carefully to protect themselves immediately before any great danger.
- The public health agencies are also employed at both the national and local levels to promote the new intervention more efficiently to all countries. This initiative supports further intervention in a wide range.
- There should be enough training facilities for the general people and seminars to understand the importance of public health and reduce heart diseases and stroke.
- A periodical monitoring system must be created to assure the whole intervention process is going as expected. Without proper controlling and monitoring facilities, it may not be possible to ensure systematic development.
So, it can be said that we need to give importance to our health so that we can protect ourselves from any kind of significant health disorder. Careful actions and habits can make us free from any type of illness and give us the most vital asset: good health. We have to follow at least the primary health rules and regulations for our betterment.
- “Evaluation Of Health Promotion, Public Health Or Public Policy Interventions”. Health Knowledge. N.p., 2017. Web. 17 Feb. 2017.
- Heckmann, J G. “Increased Frequency Of Cardioembolism And Patent Foramen Ovale In Patients With Stroke And A Positive Travel History Suggesting Economy Class Stroke Syndrome”. Heart 92.9 (2006): 1265-1268. Web.
- “Health Promotion & Education Research Methods: Using The Five Chapter Thesis/ Dissertation Model: 9780763775070: Medicine & Health Science Books @ Amazon.Com”. Amazon.com. N.p., 2017. Web. 17 Feb. 2017.
- “News”. Eaea.org. N.p., 2017. Web. 17 Feb. 2017.
- “Principles Of Health Education – Campus Compact”. Campus Compact. N.p., 2017. Web. 17 Feb. 2017.
- Rychetnik, L. “Criteria For Evaluating Evidence On Public Health Interventions”. N.p., 2017. Print.
- Sparks, M. “The Changing Contexts Of Health Promotion”. N.p., 2017. Print.
- “On The Interpretation Of Heart Action Phases On Heart Stroke Frequency”. American Heart Journal 19.5 (1940): 627. Web.
- Boyle, Marie A and David H Holben. Community Nutrition In Action. 1st ed. Belmont: Wadsworth, 2013. Print.